Thursday, June 30, 2011

Researching in Your Professional Context

Harrah’s New Orleans Guest Attendant
http://harrahs.hodesiq.com/harrahsiq/job_detail.asp?JobID=2516734

Responsible for providing friendly, courteous service to guests every time and cleaning 16 rooms up to Harrah’s standards within assigned shift.

-Must be able to get along well with co-workers and work well as a team member.
-Must possess excellent customer service and communication skills.
-Must be able to work any day of the week.  Must present a well-groomed appearance.

Hilton New Orleans Overnight House Person

https://careers.hilton.com/psc/hrprd/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?JobOpeningId=68007&SiteId=&Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL

Cleans and maintains all hotel public areas (to meet established cleanliness and quality standards. Delivers items to room/suite attendants upon request and assists in cleaning guest rooms/suites as needed.

-Work Overnight Hours
-Work well with others
- Follow instructions well
- Service base attitude

Front Desk Supervisor Holiday Inn New Orleans

http://ihg.taleo.net/careersection/all/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=598307&src=JB-10920

Responsible for the successful daily operations of the Hotel Front Desk, Reservations, PBX, Bell, Valet and Transportation departments. Must strike a balance between guest satisfaction and effective business management. Must ensure each team member meets or exceeds guest service expectations and ensure team members work well together.

-High School diploma or equivalent
-one year front office/guest relations experience including some supervisory training/experience.
-Some college is preferred
-May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays

Room Captain at Intercontinental New Orleans

http://ihg.taleo.net/careersection/all/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=586589&src=JB-10920

Deliver and serve food and beverages to hotel guest's room. Complete customer payment transactions as outlined in cash and charge procedures. Perform set-up and closing side-work; stock service station, make coffee, etc. Assist in the scheduling and training of room service staff. You may also answer room service phones and record orders; utilize up-selling techniques to increase sales and may assist with other duties as assigned.

-    Knowledge of Restaurant services
-    Customer service attitude
-    Friendly
-    Work oriented




    The Position that I am interested in is the Front Desk Supervisor at the Holiday Inn New Orleans. This is the position, that I became a tourism management major. It really seems like something that I would enjoy doing. To begin with, I have had two jobs dealing with customer service. My first job was a birthday party host. This was a very important job because if I did not meet the standards the customer was expecting, I could ruin the party and make a bad name for my employer. I was to make sure that whatever the customer expected, I went above and beyond. My second job is my current one that I have worked for two years. I am a front Desk assistant in the residence hall. Each week new camps come in, and I check them in, and ensure that everything goes just as they had expected. This is most like the position because it makes me think quick and on my feet. Our employer gives us the freedom to make things right if a guest is having a bad experience. He always harps on the guest having a great experience so that they come back. It is so true.

    I was a very involved student in High School, and continued this trend into college. However in college, I took part in less but invested more of myself into the organizations that I was involved with. I was a member of the SGA for two years acting as a member, which shows that I am able to work as team member and as a worker rather than a leader. I also am very involved in my fraternity. My junior year I ran and won a position on the Executive Cabinet for my fraternity of 80 men.  I then took it a step further and was voted the fraternity member of the year by my fraternity.  I believe this says that I am not only a leader, but a leader who works well with members and does not burn bridges.

    Another one of highlights is the Journey of Hope, which is a 3500-mile, 2 month long cycling trip across the country. This shows that I am dedicated and motivated because this was an incredible feat to accomplish. I had to raise $5,000 dollars, get into cycling shape, and stay involved in all my organizations, all while maintaining my 3.5 GPA. I believe this highlights not only my work ethic, but my multi tasking skills as well.

    My resume and cover letter would go as follows. It would start by saying my objective. It would then show my college degree, followed by my experience within the workforce. I would then put my extracurricular activities. I believe that will show all the qualifications needed to attain this position.

No comments:

Post a Comment