Monday, July 11, 2011

Blog: 7 Editorial- "r-word"

“Your so retarded.” “You are a retard.” “That was retarded.”

There are not many things that make me mad like those three statements.  Through Push America; a non-profit organization supporting people with disabilities, I rode my bike from San Francisco to Washington D.C. I did this to raise money and awareness for people with disabilities, and I do not take kindly to the word “retard(ed).” Neither should you.

You may not mean any real harm or hurt to someone when you use the “r-word”, but that is exactly what your doing to millions of people with intellectual disabilities. It not only offends them, it also offends their family and friends who hear this derogatory term.

Many people around the world are taking a stand against the dehumanizing effects of the “r-word.” Special Olympics and Best buddies international have teamed up on a campaign called “Spread the Word to End the Word.” Their main purpose is to spread the hurtful nature of the “r-word” In a recent commercial for the campaign, actresses Jane Lynch and Lauren potter spoke out of the issue. Jane Lynch said, “The “r-word” is the same as every minority slur, treat it that way and don’t use it.” Most people do not think of it this way, but it is very true. Like these two actresses, many actors, singers, and athletes are helping in the efforts to end the word using the social media venues. 

Three percent of the world’s population has an intellectual disability, that is 200 million people. In efforts to help eliminate the “r-word”, on October 5th 2010 President Barrack Obama signed a bill called “Rosa’s Law.” This required to federal government to replace the term “mental retardation” with “intellectual disability.” It got its name ;Rosa’s law, after a nine year old that was born with Down Syndrome’s mother was an advocate for the removal.

People with Intellectual and developmental disabilities; to me, do not even have DISabilities. I believe that they just have different abilities. I learned this on my bike ride. Many friends that I met while on my journey have taught me things that I never could learn before, such as how to “moon walk”.  Those same people with different abilities are very capable of attending school, playing video games, watching movies, competing in athletics, working, getting married and contributing to society. Why would you want to demean them and use the “r-word?” If you do not believe me, attend or volunteer at your regions next Special Olympics. People with intellectual and developmental disabilities are some of the hardest working, most resilient people that I have ever met.

Visit www.r-word.org and take a pledge to no longer use the “r-word” in a derogatory sense. I have taken my pledge, along with over 200,000 others, have you? Remember; Spread the Word to End the Word.



The purpose of the above article is to make people realize if they already do not that the term “retard(ed)” is very hurtful to millions of people, and they need to no longer use this word. The intended audience is anyone really. This is an issue that everyone is faced with. Even if they do not use the “r-word” the article may be of assistance to explain to a friend or someone exactly why it’s not nice to use the “r-word.” I believe the voice of my article is one of anger and compassion. I made it clear not only by writing the article, but also by stating clearly the stance that I took on the issue. The social context is one that I believe most people have heard about.  I would definitely say that the call to write is both school and public sphere. I am writing because of an assignment, but am also writing about an important public issue.  I believe I made it clear by only using the actual word “retard(ed)” a few times. I did this because it is important that the reader sees that I have even switched to saying the “r-word” in the article rather then the entire word.  I believe I did accomplish what I was trying to do. I provided a sense of compassion so the reader will try to no longer say the word, or suggest to friends and family members to not say the word anymore. I gave facts while also making the reader think deeper on the things. I ultimately hope it has sparked enough interest in some people so they go look up more information on the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment